Can't call other freephoneline users

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo

Can't call other freephoneline users

Postby sgobiraj » 12/24/2020

The issue I am having is that I can't call some other freephoneline/fongo users outbound (goes immediately to their voicemail) however they can call me. I can call them from my cell and other people have no issues calling them. I can call all other numbers fine from my freephoneline as well. This is a weird issue that has been happening for almost 2 years now and was wondering if there was some accidental number blocking setting or something of the sort?
sgobiraj
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: SPA112
Firmware Version: 1.4.1_SR5
ISP Name: Rogers Cable
Computer OS: Windows 10
Router: Linksys WRT1900ACS

Re: Can't call other freephoneline users

Postby Liptonbrisk » 12/25/2020

FPL to FPL calls are SIP URI calls, which are different than cellular calls.
The problem could be on their end (ask if they have SIP ALG enabled in their routers; if so, ask them to disable SIP ALG or use voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 to see if that makes a difference).
But there have been SPA/PAP ATA users reporting issues when trying to make anonymous outgoing calls to certain numbers (refer to steps 3 and 4 below).

If someone did block your FPL number (could be done in the user's handset by mistake), the outgoing call to that person will drop directly to voicemail. The same will happen if their device is unregistered or offline.

Please follow the steps below, step by step, down the list.

1. Enable bridge mode in your Rogers gateway: https://www.rogers.com/customer/support ... ridgemodem

2. Disable SIP ALG in your Linksys router.
a) Login to Linksys router-->Navigate to Connectivity-->Administration tab
b) Uncheck SIP ALG
c) Click "Apply"

This is the process that would be a good starting point for the users whose numbers you are trying to call.
That is, if they've been issued a modem/router combo by their ISP and are also using their own router, ensure the modem/router combo is in bridge mode, and disable SIP ALG in the other router.
If they only have a modem/router combo, gateway, or hub, ensure SIP ALG is disabled in it.

Alternatively, ask them to use voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 in their ATAs or IP Phones to circumvent SIP ALG.

3) Check to see whether you've accidentally enabled Caller ID block on your ATA. Dial *68 to remove caller ID blocking on all outbound calls.
Don't use "Anonymous" for display name in your ATA. Don't use or accidentally dial *67.

4. In your ATA, navigate to Voice-->Line (whichever you use for FPL)-->Supplementary Service Subscription-->Block CID Serv:
a) change to no
b) Click "submit"

5) When you login at https://www.freephoneline.ca/doGetCallLogs, select the month, and click "submit", are the failed outgoing calls listed?
a) If so, what does the disconnect reason state?

6) Login to your ATA. Specify a high random SIP port in your ATA between 30000 and 60000.
Navigate to Voice-->Line 1 (or whatever you're using for FPL)-->SIP settings, change SIP Port to a random number between 30000 and 60000.
Do not use the same random SIP port for any other Line. Always choose a different random local SIP port for each Line you're using.

Using a high random SIP port may help to bypass SIP ALG, and it also helps to avoid SIP Scanners (or hackers).
Also, changing local SIP port will reset a potential corrupted NAT association that developed between your router and ATA.

7. This step is unrelated to your problem. Regardless, in the ATA, navigate to Voice-->SIP-->NAT Support Parameters, and make sure that the following settings are enabled:

a)Handle VIA received-->yes
b)Handle VIA rport-->yes
c)Substitute VIA Addr-->yes
d) NAT Keep Alive Interval--> 20 seconds

d) click "Save Settings" button

This helps to ensure the RTP audio stream is being sent to your WAN IP as opposed to your LAN IP.

If the people you are calling are also using SPA/PAP ATAs, check to ensure they’re using those settings as well.

8. Navigate to Voice-->Line (whichever you use for FPL)-->NAT settings
a) NAT Mapping Enable should be yes
b) NAT Keep Alive Enable should be yes
c) NAT Keep Alive Msg should be $NOTIFY

d) click "Save Settings" button if changes were made

9. This step is not related to your issue.
Navigate to Voice-->SIP-->SIP Timer Values (sec)
Reg Retry Intvl should be 120 seconds

Click "Save Settings" button if changes were made

https://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en- ... redentials

Many older guides for FPL don't include this setting.

10. Proper device reboot order is always modem (wait for it to be fully up before turning on your)-->router (ensure Wi-Fi SSIDs are populated first on your devices)-->ATA (wait for router to be fully up and running before turning on ATA). That's always proper device reboot order.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Return to Community Support