[Solved] Fongo callers cannot call me [new TP-Link TD-W9970]

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo

[Solved] Fongo callers cannot call me [new TP-Link TD-W9970]

Postby gypsy2711 » 07/06/2020

I have an issue in that other Fongo users are unable to reach/call me. When they call me I cannot hear the phone ring, it is blank on their end and seconds later get sent to my voicemail. I have never had this problem before and this seems to have happened right after I changed my internet service provider having simply switched from cable to FTTN internet service. I was told by the Bell (ISP) installer that my modem is a modem/router combo (TP-Link TD-W9970), but that I would still be using my Linksys EA6100 Router.

I submitted a support ticket a while back with no response and sent another follow-up inquiry with still no response from Fongo Support. I even called my ISP provider and they claim it is not their issue so will not come by to resolve this.

My Fongo callers are regular callers, and it is very upsetting that they are unable to reach me, and not sure if this is a Fongo issue. Although I am not a very tech savvy person - I would need step by step instructions - is there anyone who can give some advice in solving this?

Thank you.
gypsy2711
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: Grandstream HandyTone-286
Firmware Version: TP-Link TD-W9970
ISP Name: Carrytel (Bell 3rd party), FTTN Int
Computer OS: Windows 10 Enterprse
Router: Linksys EA6100

Re: Fongo callers cannot reach/call my home FPL

Postby Liptonbrisk » 07/07/2020

Please do the following, step by step:

1. Login to your Linksys router by using a web browser and entering 192.168.1.1
"admin" is the default Username and Password.
Perform PPPoE login (you will require the username and password from your ISP) in your Linksys EA6100 (navigate to connectivity-->internet settings-->connection type).

save settings

If your ISP refuses to provide your PPPoE username and password, I would switch to another ISP immediately. I would be so furious that I wouldn't even bother arguing. Those are basic user credentials that every customer should have access to. Bell provides them to customers, and I know Teksavvy and Start do as well. No reputable ISP should be hiding that information.

a) If you, instead, (and this is probably a better idea for troubleshooting purposes), want to rule out both the TP-Link and Linksys routers as being involved in the problem, perform PPPoE login in your ATA. Login to your Grandstream ATA. Dial ***
Then dial 02.
Enter the IP address you hear into a web browser.
admin is the default password.
Navigate to Basic Settings-->IP address. Enter in PPPoE account ID/username and PPPoE password information provided by your ISP.

Save settings.

2. Disable SIP ALG in your Linksys EA6100 (navigate to connectivity-->administration-->application layer gateway). Uncheck "SIP". Click "apply". And then click 'ok".

3. Login to your ATA.
Dial ***
Then dial 02.
admin is the default password.

Check that you're using the latest firmware for your ATA, which can be located at http://www.grandstream.com/support/firmware
Chances are you are already using the latest firmware.
I will not be held responsible for failed firmware updates

4. Check, after updating firmware, to see if you have an option in your ATA called "SIP REGISTER Contact Header Uses". If so, select "WAN address"
Chances are this option doesn't exist in your ATA. The setting would be located under the "Advanced Settings" tab in your ATA. However, in newer Grandstream ATAs, it's found under the "Profile" tab.

5. Ensure that the SIP Registration Failure Retry Wait Time setting in your ATA is 120 seconds (this is not related to your problem, but the setting is missing in most guides for Freephoneline).
This setting is found under the "Advanced Settings" tab.

6. Test again with an incoming call.

7. If the problem persists, for the SIP server listed in your ATA, change it to "voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060" (without the quotation marks) to help circumvent SIP ALG in your router(s).

For reference, your ATA's setup guide can be located at viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16334.
Freephoneline's SIP settings are located at https://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en- ... redentials.

Lastly, if you are unable to resolve this issue yourself or with the help of others here, there's a paid technical support option, but it does cost $50+tax: https://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en- ... al-Support.

Good luck
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Re: Fongo callers cannot reach/call me [new TP-Link TD-W9970

Postby gypsy2711 » 07/14/2020

Thank you for your instructions. I am running into difficulty and need some further assistance.

Under step #1, I tried entering 192.168.1.1, which took me to my TP-Link rather than my Linksys router? Although under TP-link, under its quick setup wizard, it prompted me to enter my ISP username and password, but I did not want to change any other settings as I did not want to disable anything else which is not familiar to me.

Under (a) you advise that I could try logging in via my Grandstream ATA, which I did instead. I entered my PPPoE username and address and saved the setting, but have now run into major problems in that my phone does not work at all. There is no dial tone at all now. I tried logging in back to my ATA device and now it will not let me connect to it at all. Please help!

Thank you.
gypsy2711
Just Passing Thru

Postby Liptonbrisk » 07/14/2020

gypsy2711 wrote:
Under step #1, I tried entering 192.168.1.1, which took me to my TP-Link rather than my Linksys router? Although under TP-link, under its quick setup wizard, it prompted me to enter my ISP username and password, but I did not want to change any other settings as I did not want to disable anything else which is not familiar to me.

https://www.linksys.com/fi/support-arti ... =140530#s2

"What is the default IP Address, Username, and Password of the Linksys EA6100?

The default IP Address for this router is 192.168.1.1 and admin is the default for both Username and Password."

I wasn't aware, but it appears that your ISP's device or TP-LINK TD-W9970 also shares the same default LAN IP address as your Linksys EA6100 router. Alternatively, you may be able to access your Linksys router by visiting linksyssmartwifi.com from a web browser. Or you can try turning off the TP-LINK TD-W9970, and connecting a PC or laptop directly to the Linksys EA6100 via ethernet cable.

Since both devices share the same LAN IP address, you're getting access to TP-Link modem router/combo. It's not a good idea for both TD-W9970 and EA6100 to be using the same LAN IP address. First unplug the TP-LINK ethernet cable that's attached to Linksys router. Then change the IP address of the Linksys router to something else, such as 192.168.2.1. To do this, after unplugging the TP-LINK ethernet cable that's attached to the Linksys router (you'll need to connect via ethernet cable from the Linksys router to a computer or via linksys wi-fi to a computer), and login in at 192.168.1.1. Based on the EA6100 emulator located at http://ui.linksys.com/EA6100/1.1.5.159694/# you would navigate to Connectivity-->Local Network. Then click "edit" under router details. Change IP address to 192.168.2.1. On the right hand side, under DHCP server, change start IP address to 192.168.2.100. Click apply. And click "okay". To access the Linksys router, you will now need to use 192.168.2.1.
Reattach TP-Link cable.

You would then perform PPPoE login in the Linksys router as mentioned previously.

[Skip the following sentences. I'm just leaving it here for my own reference because I want the TP-Link emulator link to refer to] Based on this TP-Link TD-W9970 emulator, https://emulator.tp-link.com/W9970V1_Emulator/index.htm, if the Linksys router is a client of the TP-LINK TD-W9970, you would be able to find the LAN IP address of the Linksys EA6100 router by logging into your TP-LINK modem/router combo (at 192.168.1.1) and navigating to DHCP Server-->Clients list. Ideally, you don't want TP-Link TD-W9970 assigning DHCP clients. You want to be bypassing all router features in TP-LINK TD-W9970. So you don't want a bunch of clients listed. You want the Linksys router acting as the DHCP server for your LAN (local area network) instead. You want to be performing PPPoE login in the Linksys router (as described previously). [Please skip this].

Under (a) you advise that I could try logging in via my Grandstream ATA, which I did instead. I entered my PPPoE username and address

Not address

It needs to be your PPPoE Password, and it must be entered correctly without typos.

https://www.voipsupply.com/downloads/dl ... _guide.pdf
Refer to page 16 for PPPoE username and password fields

"PPPoE account ID is PPPoE username. Necessary if ISP requires you to use a PPPoE (Point to Point Protocol over Ethernet) connection."

"PPPoE password is PPPoE account password."

You would enter your PPPoE username (provided by ISP) into PPPoE account ID field and your PPPoE password, provided by your ISP, into PPPoE Password field in your ATA (under Basic Settings-->IP address).

I tried logging in back to my ATA device and now it will not let me connect to it at all.

1) Check the light pattern on your ATA.

The table on page 14 from the manual lists light patterns:

TABLE 7: HT–286 LED DEFINITIONS

RED LED indicates not normal status

Button flashes every 1 second If Ethernet link is down
Button flashes every 2 seconds. (if DHCP is configured) DHCP Failed or WAN No Cable
Button flashes every 4 seconds. (if SIP server is configured) HT–286 fails to register
Button flashes every 6 seconds. Firmware Upgrading
Button flashes briefly No STUN responses
Red light steady. Device Malfunctions

GREEN LED indicates normal status

Button flashes every 2 seconds. Message Waiting Indication
Button flashes at 1/10 second. RINGING
Button flashes every second. RINGING INTERVAL
Green light steady. In Conversation

2) Power cycle the ATA (unplug, wait 20 seconds, plug it back in).

3) Dial ***
Then dial 02.

Please note that PPPoE username and password are completely separate from device (admin, for example) usernames and passwords.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby gypsy2711 » 07/14/2020

Hi again,

I truly appreciate all the help you are giving me! I am sure it is a very simple configuration fix, but I am not sure how to fix it despite your instructions as I have no tech skills whatsoever! I am sorry.

My apologies, correction - I meant I entered my PPPoE username and password not 'address'. ---
"Under (a) you advise that I could try logging in via my Grandstream ATA, which I did instead. I entered my PPPoE username and address"

I did unplug my router and ATA device and plugged it back in but my ATA device now flashes red every two seconds. My Linksys IP default gateway is: xxxxxx, but is it safe for me to give you my username (which is my email) and password on this forum?, or can I send this to you to directly?
Last edited by Liptonbrisk on 07/14/2020, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited IP
gypsy2711
Just Passing Thru

No, I definitely don't want any of your passwords, and I can't use them. I'm uncertain of why you want me to have them. Please don't post them nor send them to me.

What you posted is not your Linksys router's LAN (local) IP address.

I did edit instructions for my previous post. Please go back and re-read.

ATA device and plugged it back in but my ATA device now flashes red every two seconds

Your ATA is not getting internet access due to PPPoE login failing. I guess that's the reason for not hearing an IP.

Dial ***
Then dial 02.

Do you hear an IP?

If you no longer know what your device password and username are and can’t login because of that, the last page of this manual explains how to perform a factory reset:
https://www.voipsupply.com/downloads/dl ... _guide.pdf
You would then use this PDF guide to reconfigure your ATA: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16334.

If you're going to perform PPPoE login in your Linksys router and disable SIP ALG in it, then delete PPPoE login and password in your ATA.

One thing that I didn't consider (because performing PPPoE using other devices with Bell Hubs works), is that your ISP might only allow one PPPoE device login (which is currently being used in your TP-LINK modem/router combo). It would be news to me to hear of an ISP limiting PPPoE logins to one device, but you might want to check with your ISP. If there is a limit, then what I suggested as a solution won't work.

The problem with Freephoneline/Fongo callers not being able to call you, I suspect, is related to the router portion of the TP-LINK TD-W9970 that I want to bypass by using PPPoE in your Linksys router or Grandstream ATA.

I am sure it is a very simple configuration fix, but I am not sure how to fix it despite your instructions as I have no tech skills whatsoever! I am sorry.

There's no need to apologize. Unfortunately, I can't offer remote desktop assistance. If you don't know anyone that can help you, although I know it's not cheap, there is a paid technical support option: https://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en- ... al-Support. If things don't work out using that avenue, please don't blame me; I don't work for them. I accept no responsibility if they do not fix your issue to your satisfaction. However, I don't know what else to suggest if my instructions are too difficult to follow. If you're going to go this route, ensure that you state the problem is that Freephoneline/Fongo users can't reach you.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

For clarity, what I'm proposing to test to see whether the TP-Link TD-W9970 is causing the problem is this:

TP-Link TD-W9970 (PPPoE login, LAN IP 192.168.1.1)--->Linksys EA6100 (PPPoE login, SIP ALG disabled, LAN IP 192.168.2.1)-->Grandstream ATA

or

TP-Link TD-W9970 (PPPoE login)--->Grandstream ATA (PPPoE login)

or

You should be able to perform the following, regardless of whether you can perform PPPoE login in only one device:

1) Contact your ISP and ask them to get TP-Link TD-W9970 in bridge mode/pure modem mode.
ISP should confirm bridge mode instructions from https://help.ncf.ca/TP-Link_TD-W9970_Co ... ion#Bridge.
https://help.ncf.ca/TP-Link_TD-W9970_Co ... ion#VDSL_2
a) Steps 1 to 6 under VDSL
b) steps 1 to 2 below that under wireless
c) steps 1 to 2 below that to confirm
Have your ISP walk you through the instructions from the above link.
At this point, the TP-Link TD-W9970 should only be behaving as a pure modem.

TP-Link TD-W9970 (in bridge/or pure modem mode, PPPoE login, Wi-Fi disabled)-->Linksys EA 61000 (SIP ALG disabled, Wi-Fi enabled, change device LAN IP to 192.168.2.1)-->Grandstream ATA

I suggest getting someone you know that's competent to assist you.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby gypsy2711 » 07/15/2020

Thank you very much for your very detailed and helpful instructions. Yes, looks like I will have to get someone who knows exactly what to do. I was on the phone yesterday with my ISP provider and they advised that my TP-Link in in bridge mode. I do recall him saying that. If all else fails, I will have to pay Fongo to fix this.

P.S. I did try to go log in to my ATA device and when I dial *** and 02, it now says 102E103E, which likely is an error msg.

Once again, many thanks, for your time and patience with me.
gypsy2711
Just Passing Thru

Postby Liptonbrisk » 07/15/2020

gypsy2711 wrote: I was on the phone yesterday with my ISP provider and they advised that my TP-Link in in bridge mode.

If that's truly the case, then PPPoE login in your Linksys router or Grandstream ATA wasn't required. It's unusual for installers to setup modem/router combos in bridge mode, so I'm surprised.

I would still prefer doing PPPoE in the Grandstream ATA or in your Linksys router, but that step (I'm uncertain that you did it correctly) knocked the ATA offline. Don't enter PPPoE info in the ATA again unless you can get someone to help you, and before doing it again, ask your ISP whether you are able to perform PPPoE in another device in addition to TP-Link.

Disabling SIP ALG (navigate to connectivity-->administration-->application layer gateway; uncheck "SIP"; click "apply"; and then click 'ok") in your Linksys router would be a good idea, regardless. ISPs won't help you do this. I've already provided instructions.

Assigning a different local device IP address to the Linksys router, so that it's not also using 192.168.1.1 (same device IP as TP-Link) would also be a good idea. In my opinion, your installer should have helped you with this. If the installer setup TP-Link modem/router in bridge mode, the installer knew you have your own router. The installer should check to ensure both device IPs aren't set to the same one. I've already provided instructions, but it would be safer to have someone assist you. I feel you should probably not try this yourself at this point.

P.S. I did try to go log in to my ATA device and when I dial *** and 02, it now says 102E103E, which likely is an error msg.

Those are two error messages. The first, 102E, means "No IP address obtained (DHCP or PPPoE mode)." 103E means "Device is not registered to SIP server."
103E is due to 102E.

Edit: Are you hearing those two errors after pressing ***? If so, press # afterwards.
Do you then hear, "enter a menu option?" If so, enter 02
Do you hear an IP address? If so, enter the IP address in a web browser. Delete PPPoE credentials you entered previously.

I don't want to spend a lot of effort stepping you through assigning a static IP, subnet, gateway, etc. to the ATA via the IVR (Interactive Voice Response) menu. I think it may be simpler for you to factory reset the ATA and reconfigure it at this point.

If the issue persists where you're getting the 102E error and also can't access the ATA via local IP, we can factory reset your ATA and re-configure it.
Factory reset instructions are on page 28 (last page) from
https://www.voipsupply.com/downloads/dl ... _guide.pdf.

Your ATA setup guide is located at viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16334.
For the SIP server listed in your ATA, change it to "voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060" (without the quotation marks) to help circumvent SIP ALG in your router(s)
To configure your ATA, you will require your SIP Username and SIP Password, which are found after logging in at https://www.freephoneline.ca/showSipSettings.
Don't enter PPPoE info in the ATA again unless you can get someone to help you, and before doing it again, ask your ISP whether you are able to perform PPPoE in another device in addition to TP-Link.
If you're going to do PPPoE in the ATA, attach it directly into the TP-LINK modem/router combo.

Open the respective PDF files.

Other than what I've written in this thread, there's not much more I can do. Someone else might be better at providing instructions or advice than me.
You can also try asking at https://www.dslreports.com/forum/voip. Grandstream support and forum links can be found at http://www.grandstream.com/support.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby Liptonbrisk » 08/27/2020

In retrospect, given Fongo to FPL or FPL to FPL calls are treated as SIP URI calls, I wonder if after FPL server migration, disabling "Allow incoming SIP Messages from SIP Proxy only" in the ATA resolves this issue.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby gypsy2711 » 09/12/2020

Hello,

I am reaching out to you once again, in the hopes you might have an answer to my home phoneline issue as I have not been able to find anyone who can help or understands how to resolve it. You tried to help me out earlier, and am thus reaching out to you in the hopes that you can help as a last attempt to fix it.

This is where I’m stuck at, at present - I have no dial tone on my phone. I cannot make calls nor can anyone call me, although callers are directed immediately to my Fongo voicemail), and my ATA device (Grandstream HandyTone-286) flashes red every four (4) seconds.

1. Background info: Initial problem was that other Fongo callers/users could not call me. At your recommendation/suggestion to resolve this, I logged into my ATA device, and entered the PPPoE Account ID and Password (given to me by my internet service provider). Unfortunately, I cannot seem to attach or embed a screenshot to show you where I did enter this info. But if you will look at the Grandstream HT286 Config guide - page two - where it lists/shows on a screenshot PPPoE Account ID and Password, this is where I input the info. I hit update and then reboot. Right after doing so, my phone had no dial tone, and ATA device flashes red every 4 seconds. I obviously entered this info in the wrong place/location which resulted in a total shutdown.

2. I would like to do a factory reset of the ATA device, but unfortunately, when I dial ***, I get the following message: 102E 103E. I do know what my ATA IP address is, but as soon as I enter these digits in my web browser, it automatically changes the first digits to 8 of the IP address on the web browser and then just scrolls and scrolls and does not load at all. I later get an error message saying that the site cannot be reached as it took too long to respond.

I also tried following your instructions below, i.e. dialed ***, #, then 02 to get the ATA IP address and I now get 000.000.000.000 repeated message.

3. As a result, I cannot go back to log in and remove the PPPoE credendtials to restore it back to the way it was, nor can I do a factory reset.
I am therefore wondering if you would know if there is a way to circumvent this and do a factory reset differently and/or login to undo what I did before? Or do you recommend I get a new ATA device?

NOTE: Fongo support advised that I reset my ATA device by holding and pressing a button at the back of my device, but my device has no such button at the back. Only button is the one that flashes at the top of my device! and having tried to press and hold that button, nothing happens (obviously not the right button).

Many thanks in advance.

---------------
Edit: Are you hearing those two errors after pressing ***? If so, press # afterwards.
Do you then hear, "enter a menu option?" If so, enter 02
Do you hear an IP address? If so, enter the IP address in a web browser. Delete PPPoE credentials you entered previously.
If the issue persists where you're getting the 102E error and also can't access the ATA via local IP, we can factory reset your ATA and re-configure it.
Factory reset instructions are on page 28 (last page) from
https://www.voipsupply.com/downloads/dl ... _guide.pdf.

Your ATA setup guide is located at viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16334.
For the SIP server listed in your ATA, change it to "voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060" (without the quotation marks) to help circumvent SIP ALG in your router(s)
To configure your ATA, you will require your SIP Username and SIP Password, which are found after logging in at https://www.freephoneline.ca/showSipSettings.
Don't enter PPPoE info in the ATA again unless you can get someone to help you, and before doing it again, ask your ISP whether you are able to perform PPPoE in another device in addition to TP-Link.
If you're going to do PPPoE in the ATA, attach it directly into the TP-LINK modem/router combo.

Open the respective PDF files.
gypsy2711
Just Passing Thru

Postby Liptonbrisk » 09/12/2020

gypsy2711 wrote:t PPPoE Account ID and Password, this is where I input the info. I hit update and then reboot. Right after doing so, my phone had no dial tone, and ATA device flashes red every 4 seconds. I obviously entered this info in the wrong place/location which resulted in a total shutdown.

That's where you're supposed to enter the PPPoE credentials given to you by your ISP if you're connecting Grandsteam ATA directly to TP-LINK. Are you connecting the ATA directly to TP-LINK TD-W9970? If not, try doing so. Any change? Those PPPoE credentials should differ from TP-LINK router login (username/password).

TP-Link TD-W9970 --->Connect Grandstream ATA directly to it. Enter PPPoE credentials in Grandstream ATA.

You'd need to ask your ISP if more than one PPPoE login (besides the one used in TP-LINK) is permitted in another device besides TP-LINK. That does work with Bell Hubs.

or

TP-Link TD-W9970 should be in bridge mode--->connect to internet port on the back of Linksys EA6100 (PPPoE login, SIP ALG disabled, Linksys router LAN IP changed to 192.168.2.1 so that it does not conflict with TP-LINK device LAN IP)-->Grandstream ATA (no PPPoE credentials entered)

You'd need to ask your ISP if more than one PPPoE login (besides the one used in TP-LINK) is permitted in another device besides TP-LINK. That does work with Bell Hubs.

or

You should be able to perform the following, regardless of whether you can perform PPPoE login in only one device:

1) Contact your ISP and ask them to get TP-Link TD-W9970 in bridge mode/pure modem mode.
ISP should confirm bridge mode instructions from https://help.ncf.ca/TP-Link_TD-W9970_Co ... ion#Bridge.

TP-Link TD-W9970 (in bridge/or pure modem mode, PPPoE login, Wi-Fi disabled)-->connect to internet port on the back of Linksys EA6100 (SIP ALG disabled, Wi-Fi enabled, change device LAN IP to 192.168.2.1)-->Grandstream ATA (no PPPoE credential entered)

I suggest getting someone you know that's competent to assist you.

I also tried following your instructions below, i.e. dialed ***, #, then 02 to get the ATA IP address and I now get 000.000.000.000 repeated message.

As a result, I cannot go back to log in and remove the PPPoE credendtials to restore it back to the way it was, nor can I do a factory reset.

The led light flashing red 4 times means your HT-286 is failing to register, which I already know. It's failing to register because it can't obtain an IP address.
103E means "Device is not registered to SIP server." Your ATA is not registered to Freephoneline. It's not registered to Freephoneline due to 102E, "No IP address obtained (PPPoE mode)".
102E is the problem.

You can try disconnecting the ATA from TP-LINK or Linksys, and, instead, connect the ATA to the back of a PC to see if you can access it that way.
Then dial ***, #, 02
If you can access the ATA that way, then you don't need to perform a factory reset.

Regardless, you don't enter 02 to perform a factory reset. Performing a factory reset does not require you to login to the ATA via a web browser.

If you hear the two error messages mentioned previously after pressing *** in step 3 below, press #. You should hear, "Enter a menu option." Then enter 99.

Follow the steps listed at https://www.manualslib.com/manual/62377 ... ml?page=28 to perform a factory reset.

"Restore Factory Default Setting

Warning !!! Restore the Factory Default Setting will DELETE all configuration information of the device. Please backup or print out all the settings before you approach to following steps. Grandstream will not take any responsibility if you lose all the parameters of setting and cannot connect to your service provider. Please disconnect network cable and power cycle the unit before trying to reset the unit to factory default.

The steps are as follows:

•Step 1: Find the MAC Address of the device.
The MAC address of the device is located on the bottom of the device. It is a 12 digits hex number.

•Step 2: Encode the MAC address to decimal digits. Please use the following mapping: 0-9: 0-9 A: 22 B: 222 C: 2222 D: 33 E: 333 F: 3333
For example, for MAC address 000b8200e395, the user should encode it as “0002228200333395”.

•Step 3: Access the voice menu by pressing *** or the LED button, then dial “99” and get the voice prompt “RESET”

•Step 4: Key in the encoded MAC address decimal digits after hear the IVR prompt.

Once the correct encoded MAC address is entered, the device will reboot automatically and restore the factory default setting.

NOTE: Factory Reset will be disabled if the `Lock keypad update' is set to "Yes". If you set Lock Keypad Update to Yes in the Web Configuration, Factory Reset can not be initiated.

I know of no other way to factory reset the device. The factory reset button on the back does not apply to your model ATA. It applies to newer Grandstream ATA models, as far as I know.

You can also try asking at https://forums.grandstream.com/ or submit a ticket to Grandstream: https://helpdesk.grandstream.com/

Or do you recommend I get a new ATA device?

Not really, since I'm not convinced buying a new one will fix your original issue of other Fongo users not being able to call you
Unless Grandstream tells you otherwise, I don't believe your ATA is bricked.

If you manage to get the ATA factory reset and reconfigured, and if the original problem persists when using "voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060" (without the quotation marks) for SIP server, try disabling "Allow incoming SIP Messages from SIP Proxy only" in the ATA to see if that resolves the issue of other Fongo users not being able to call you.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby gypsy2711 » 01/28/2021

Hello,
Although this is a little late, I wanted to thank you very much for all the time and effort you took to assist me with the issue I had with my home FPL not working. It was an issue with my ATA device settings. Finally, many weeks later I re-set my ATA device and I am back in business - my phone works!!. With sincere thanks again for all your help! and wishing you a wonderful start to the New Year!
gypsy2711
Just Passing Thru

Postby Liptonbrisk » 01/29/2021

I'm glad your issue is resolved. Thank you for letting me know.

I wish you a Happy New Year as well.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby Liptonbrisk » 02/10/2021

Liptonbrisk wrote:

Just for my own future reference, Carrytel's bridge mode instructions for this device can be found at https://www.carrytel.ca/support.aspx
Select the "internet" tab-->click "TPLINK W9970 - How to setup the TPLINK-W9970 modem to bridge mode?"

Also, after contacting Carrytel, they don't appear to support initiating another PPPoE session outside of their TP-Link modem/router combo, which would explain why the ATA got kicked offline.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Return to Community Support