[Resolved] Not Registered

Have a question or problem with your Fongo Home Phone service? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Visit The Fongo Home Phone Support Knowledge-base for more.

[Resolved] Not Registered

Postby kojam » 11/27/2021

Haven't been able to use my home phone for 2 weeks now.
I HAVE MADE NO CHANGES ON MY SIDE and all of a sudden i am gettting the 'not registered' error.
Submitted a ticket. The only response I got was that they see me connecting from the US. Have advisded them that I am in Canada. Provided pings, traceroutes, and other supporting info. No VPN being used. NO CHANGES HAVE BEEN MADE. It just stopped working.
As well, if i log into the android app on my phone and try to make a call it just drops instantly. I used to be able to log in to the app with these same credentials and make a call using my home number.
I have another account JUST for the app. If l log into the app with that, i can make/receive calls with the app. That tells me that something has changed with my home profile account within Fongo's systems, but NOBODY is replying.
I used my old Linksys ATA that I was using before I got the Grandstream. It worked fine, still has the working config that I've always had on it up until I replaced it with the HT701 a few years ago. The Linksys also shows 'not registered'. That tells me something with my account has been messed up on Fongo's side.

Not sure what to do now. I was going to reconfigure the HT701 from scratch, but don't see how that will make a difference, since I hadn't made any changes since I installed it years ago.

Any suggestions?
kojam
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: Grandstream HT701
ISP Name: Rogers
Computer OS: Windows 10
Router: Rogers

Re: Not Registered

Postby Liptonbrisk » 11/27/2021

kojam wrote:I HAVE MADE NO CHANGES ON MY SIDE

Issues can occur in users' routers, such as NAT corruption, without them doing anything. Consequently, users claiming that nothing has changed on their end doesn't necessarily mean very much.
Refer to point D from viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20199#p78976.

and all of a sudden i am gettting the 'not registered' error

Login at https://www.freephoneline.ca/showSipSettings

What do you see for "SIP Status" and "SIP User Agent"?

Submitted a ticket. The only response I got was that they see me connecting from the US. Have advisded them that I am in Canada. Provided pings, traceroutes, and other supporting info. No VPN being used.

That would suggest your FPL account has been compromised and that someone else is using your SIP credentials.
If so, the only fix is to change both your FPL account password and SIP Password. To change SIP Password, you must make the request in a ticket.
You would then need to update the SIP Password in your devices.

As well, if i log into the android app on my phone and try to make a call it just drops instantly. I used to be able to log in to the app with these same credentials and make a call using my home number.
I have another account JUST for the app

Which app? If you have more than one FPL account you're not using the exact same SIP credentials with both accounts. Each account provides a separate number with a separate SIP Password and SIP Username.

Note that it's not possible to register the exact same FPL account simultaneously on more than one device or sip app. Only one registration per FPL account is allowed at any time. An ATA is one registration. A SIP app is another.

When there are multiple devices/softphones/lines using the same account, only the most recent registration is valid. The previous device will lose registration, and, consequently, incoming calls will not work on it. This is especially important to consider if someone else is using your SIP credentials (username and password) that are found after logging in at https://www.freephoneline.ca/showSipSettings or if you're trying to register your FPL account with a smartphone SIP app or with another device. Registration is required for incoming calls. It is not required for outgoing calls.

A more significant concern, though, is that multiple registration attempts can lead to temporary IP bans. The more devices being used with the exact same FPL account can make the temporary ban happen more quickly. Each time you reboot or restart your ATA or SIP app, it's attempting to register with Freephoneline again. Multiple registration attempts within a short period can result in temporary IP ban. Each time you reboot your ATA (or run a SIP app) it's attempting to register with FPL's proxy server again.

If you've been temporarily IP banned, you can try switching to another proxy server: voip,freephoneline.ca, voip2.freephoneline.ca, or voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060.

voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 is used to help circumvent buggy SIP ALGs in routers, and it's a good choice to try if you weren't using it before.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Postby kojam » 12/07/2021

Thanks. have been super busy. Will try this when I get a chance
I use www.fongo.com. will look for the SIP setting.
kojam
Just Passing Thru

Postby Liptonbrisk » 12/07/2021

kojam wrote:I used my old Linksys ATA

You can only use Freephoneline on a Linksys ATA.

So, the following comment doesn't make sense to me:

Which service are you having a problem with? Fongo Home Phone?
You posted in the Freephoneline forum. Freephoneline uses https://www.freephoneline.ca/login.

Fongo Home Phone and Fongo Mobile use http://www.fongo.com.
Freephoneline does not.

Fongo Home Phone, Fongo Mobile, and Freephoneline are all treated as separate services with separate accounts, and no account shares the same phone number, SIP credentials, or username and password.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby kojam » 12/08/2021

Liptonbrisk wrote:
kojam wrote:I used my old Linksys ATA

You can only use Freephoneline on a Linksys ATA.

So, the following comment doesn't make sense to me:

Which service are you having a problem with? Fongo Home Phone?
You posted in the Freephoneline forum. Freephoneline uses https://www.freephoneline.ca/login.

Fongo Home Phone and Fongo Mobile use http://www.fongo.com.
Freephoneline does not.

Fongo Home Phone, Fongo Mobile, and Freephoneline are all treated as separate services with separate accounts, and no account shares the same phone number, SIP credentials, or username and password.

I did?!
Sorry!
I was in a real rush and NEVER have too much time. Didn't realize. I had FPL when they 1st started. Later on got Dell Voice by Fongo to use with a Linksys ATA. Me and my co-workers all paid Fongo $25 for the SIP config filev(no monthly fee to pay after that). They ported our home numbers over from BELL for us all. That was back in 2012. We're all still using it (at least the ex-workers I still am on contact with).
So, can this be moved over to the correct forum, or should I close this and start over?

Thanks.
kojam
Just Passing Thru

Postby Liptonbrisk » 12/09/2021

kojam wrote:
I did?!
Sorry!
I was in a real rush and NEVER have too much time. Didn't realize. I had FPL when they 1st started. Later on got Dell Voice by Fongo to use with a Linksys ATA

Dell Voice no longer exists.
The Dell Voice mobile application eventually became Fongo Mobile. Fongo Mobile is impossible to use on an ATA.
The Dell Voice PC application no longer exists. The Freephoneline desktop application still does for Windows.

Fongo Mobile's phone number is separate from Freephoneline.

Freephonline's VoIP unlock key (SIP credentials) cost $50 in 2010 and was never cheaper.
Porting into Freephoneline, Dell Voice, and Fongo Mobile always cost $25.

I'm uncertain about your circumstances because I was using FPL back in 2010 and never had a Dell Voice account that I remember using (unless it was simply transitioned to Fongo Mobile).
Consequently (and this is the problem) I don't know whether Dell Voice SIP (voip unlock key) accounts were migrated to Freephoneline accounts, but if you're using your old Dell Voice SIP credentials, then I suspect you're using Freephoneline's service when using an ATA. Dell Voice no longer exists.

I did find this old thread: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=11742&p=56302
That thread suggests to me Dell Voice accounts might have been able to use the same number in both Fongo Mobile and, what is currently, Freephoneline simultaneously.
Otherwise, I'm not sure why anyone would have been able to see their SIP credentials when logging in at http://www.fongo.com

Unless the person answering Fongo tickets is aware of Dell Voice's history, I doubt that person will understand what's happened to your Dell Voice SIP credentials (or voip unlock key account).
It's not possible to use Freephoneline's phone number or its SIP credentials with Fongo Mobile.
They (Fongo) may have allowed multiple registrations with the same Dell Voice SIP credentials on Fongo Mobile and on an ATA.
But that's never been the case with Freephoneline.

When (with FPL's SIP credentials/VoIP unlock key) there are multiple devices/softphones/lines using the same account, only the most recent registration is valid. The previous device will lose registration, and, consequently, incoming calls will not work on it. This is especially important to consider if someone else is using your SIP credentials (username and password) that are found after logging in at https://www.freephoneline.ca/showSipSettings or if you're trying to register your FPL account with a smartphone SIP app (or FPL desktop app) or with another device. Registration is required for incoming calls. It is not required for outgoing calls. Only one registration per FPL account is allowed at any time. A single line on an ATA is one registration. A SIP (or even Fongo Mobile) app is another. A more significant concern, though, is that multiple registration attempts can lead to temporary IP bans. The more devices being used with the exact same FPL account can make the temporary ban happen more quickly. Each time you reboot or restart your ATA or SIP app, it's attempting to register with Freephoneline again. Multiple registration attempts within a short period can result in temporary IP ban. Each time you reboot your ATA (or run a SIP app) it's attempting to register with FPL's proxy server again.

Unfortunately, there's nothing I (or any moderator) can do about your situation because I don't work for Fongo. You'll have to create a new ticket. Choose "My account inquiry" for the final issue type. Let them know that you originally were a Dell Voice customer that purchased SIP credentials (or a VoIP unlock key). Mention that, originally, you believe you were allowed to use the same Dell Voice account with the Dell Voice mobile application (now Fongo Mobile) and on an ATA simultaneously.

The problem is that's not the case anymore (never has been for FPL users, and Dell Voice no longer exists). I think they might have to transfer you to a Freephoneline account (for your ATA), and then you would have to create a new Fongo mobille account (and accept a new Fongo Mobile number). You would lose the capacity to use your (ported) Dell Voice number in the Fongo Mobile app. I'm not saying that situation would be fair, but I am saying I have no clue what else they could do to resolve this issue for you.

Lastly, if someone from the U.S. is using your SIP credentials, then at the very least, both your SIP Password (that needs to be requested in a ticket) and your Fongo account password should be changed. That situation suggests you've been hacked.

You don't have to create a new thread. I was just confused by the circumstances. I haven't had anyone mention Dell Voice to me in awhile.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby kojam » 12/09/2021

Liptonbrisk wrote:
kojam wrote:
I did?!
Sorry!
I was in a real rush and NEVER have too much time. Didn't realize. I had FPL when they 1st started. Later on got Dell Voice by Fongo to use with a Linksys ATA

Dell Voice no longer exists.
The Dell Voice mobile application eventually became Fongo Mobile. Fongo Mobile is impossible to use on an ATA.
The Dell Voice PC application no longer exists. The Freephoneline desktop application still does for Windows.

Fongo Mobile's phone number is separate from Freephoneline.

Freephonline's VoIP unlock key (SIP credentials) cost $50 in 2010 and was never cheaper.
Porting into Freephoneline, Dell Voice, and Fongo Mobile always cost $25.

I'm uncertain about your circumstances because I was using FPL back in 2010 and never had a Dell Voice account that I remember using (unless it was simply transitioned to Fongo Mobile).
Consequently (and this is the problem) I don't know whether Dell Voice SIP (voip unlock key) accounts were migrated to Freephoneline accounts, but if you're using your old Dell Voice SIP credentials, then I suspect you're using Freephoneline's service when using an ATA. Dell Voice no longer exists.

I did find this old thread: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=11742&p=56302
That thread suggests to me Dell Voice accounts might have been able to use the same number in both Fongo Mobile and, what is currently, Freephoneline simultaneously.
Otherwise, I'm not sure why anyone would have been able to see their SIP credentials when logging in at http://www.fongo.com

Unless the person answering Fongo tickets is aware of Dell Voice's history, I doubt that person will understand what's happened to your Dell Voice SIP credentials (or voip unlock key account).
It's not possible to use Freephoneline's phone number or its SIP credentials with Fongo Mobile.
They (Fongo) may have allowed multiple registrations with the same Dell Voice SIP credentials on Fongo Mobile and on an ATA.
But that's never been the case with Freephoneline.

When (with FPL's SIP credentials/VoIP unlock key) there are multiple devices/softphones/lines using the same account, only the most recent registration is valid. The previous device will lose registration, and, consequently, incoming calls will not work on it. This is especially important to consider if someone else is using your SIP credentials (username and password) that are found after logging in at https://www.freephoneline.ca/showSipSettings or if you're trying to register your FPL account with a smartphone SIP app (or FPL desktop app) or with another device. Registration is required for incoming calls. It is not required for outgoing calls. Only one registration per FPL account is allowed at any time. A single line on an ATA is one registration. A SIP (or even Fongo Mobile) app is another. A more significant concern, though, is that multiple registration attempts can lead to temporary IP bans. The more devices being used with the exact same FPL account can make the temporary ban happen more quickly. Each time you reboot or restart your ATA or SIP app, it's attempting to register with Freephoneline again. Multiple registration attempts within a short period can result in temporary IP ban. Each time you reboot your ATA (or run a SIP app) it's attempting to register with FPL's proxy server again.

Unfortunately, there's nothing I (or any moderator) can do about your situation because I don't work for Fongo. You'll have to create a new ticket. Choose "My account inquiry" for the final issue type. Let them know that you originally were a Dell Voice customer that purchased SIP credentials (or a VoIP unlock key). Mention that, originally, you believe you were allowed to use the same Dell Voice account with the Dell Voice mobile application (now Fongo Mobile) and on an ATA simultaneously.

The problem is that's not the case anymore (never has been for FPL users, and Dell Voice no longer exists). I think they might have to transfer you to a Freephoneline account (for your ATA), and then you would have to create a new Fongo mobille account (and accept a new Fongo Mobile number). You would lose the capacity to use your (ported) Dell Voice number in the Fongo Mobile app. I'm not saying that situation would be fair, but I am saying I have no clue what else they could do to resolve this issue for you.

Lastly, if someone from the U.S. is using your SIP credentials, then at the very least, both your SIP Password (that needs to be requested in a ticket) and your Fongo account password should be changed. That situation suggests you've been hacked.

You don't have to create a new thread. I was just confused by the circumstances. I haven't had anyone mention Dell Voice to me in awhile.

Not using DV. That was many year ago...If i recall...Fongo took over DV. We all used Fongo's app on our cells, then they had an offer for free home phone. Just had to pay the $25 config file fee. That's all we had to pay..
We jumped onto the Fongo home phone plan many year ago. . I still have the email showing that we paid $25. That's why we all jumped as soon as it was available. Fongo ported our BELL home phone numbers over to Fongo Home (before they started charging a monthly rate for home phone), where we've been ever since.
We all bought Linksys ATA's for $20 from some guy from Craigslist. About 2 years in we found that there were tons of fake Linksys PAP2T ATA's from China (LOL), so I got a Grandstream HT701 eventually. The Linksys was working beautifully though. Never had an issue with it.
Been talking with Fongo via email. I think they were looking at something else when they made that statement about seeing me connecting from the US. They've made no mention of it again. I too was thinking that I'd been hacked.

Thanks
kojam
Just Passing Thru

Postby Liptonbrisk » 12/09/2021

Since you stated you're using Fongo Home Phone, I'll move your thread there. Fongo support staff isn't obliged to read these forums or respond here, but I suspect they're the only ones who'll be able to help you.
I thought you were using another service.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby kojam » 12/11/2021

Thanks.
I searched for more old email from back in those days. you were right. I paid a total of $75 ($25 to port my home number + $50 for VoIP unlock).
I'm looking for the Grandstream HT701 configuration thread so i can reconfigure my from scratch in case something has been corrupted. Where can I find that? I found the HT802 Device Configuration. Don't know if it's ok to follow.
kojam
Just Passing Thru

Postby kojam » 12/11/2021

Found this. Is it the most recent? Think so...

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=18839
kojam
Just Passing Thru

Postby Liptonbrisk » 12/13/2021

kojam wrote:Found this. Is it the most recent? Think so...

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=18839

Yes, for FPL and your ATA, that is the guide to use.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby kojam » 12/18/2021

Thanks.
Fixed it! Installed a free syslog app and turned DEBUG. Saw a DNS issue. Changed the DNS servers I use and now my home phone's back.
Have been using those ones on my ATA forever and had no issue. Guess they were decommissioned a month ago (when this reared it's head).
Using 1 Google and 1 Cloudflare DNS server now. If one goes down the other should work...."should" being the key word.
kojam
Just Passing Thru

Re: [Resolved] Not Registered

Postby Liptonbrisk » 12/23/2021

Okay, thanks for the update.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Return to Community Support