incoming calls dropping

Have a question or problem with your Fongo Home Phone service? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Visit The Fongo Home Phone Support Knowledge-base for more.

incoming calls dropping

Postby peterkelos » 04/09/2022

I'm having a problem receiving incoming calls. For the first 2 weeks of service everything was perfect but all of a sudden the incoming calls are being dropped. This started during a snow storm where the power was going on and off repeatedly but the ATA is on an UPS so I don't think it is fried. I make calls from my cell phone to my home phone the call ends after 1 ring. The duration of the call is always 1 second.

If I pick up the home phone before the first ring completes, the call goes through. If not the call is cancelled but shows up in my call log. I have reset the modem (starlink), reset the ATA, tried to log on to the ATA (locked by Fongo). The modem has no settings to change. I do not have call forwarding on but enabled and disabled it to try no change.

All outgoing calls are fine. I have a switch so I wired directly to the modem, no change. I disconnected my home phone system and used a hard wired phone, no change. I saw a post somewhere where someone had the same problem but cannot find it.

So far Fongo support has not responded.

HELP!!!
peterkelos
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: Grandstream HT701
ISP Name: Starlink
Computer OS: Windows10
Router: Starlink

Re: incoming calls dropping

Postby Liptonbrisk » 04/09/2022

I suspect something else is picking the call up if you hear your Fongo Home Phone ring once before the call is dropped.
Do you hear it ring once? Also when you picked up the call successfully, were you able to hear yourself speak through both phones?

1) Do double check to ensure Follow
me/Call forwarding is disabled.

2) Try dialing *73 to Disable Unconditional Call Forward. If that works, I suspect you were hacked.
Use a good NAT firewall router and don’t use DMZ or port forwarding.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20199#p78976
(Point A would apply if you were hacked).

3) Ensure “Rings Before Voicemail” isn’t set to 1: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/arti ... cemail-FHP.

4) Also, check physical home phone system to ensure physical answering machine isn’t picking up.

5) Try dialing *79 to disable Do No Disturb. I doubt that’s the problem since the phone shouldn’t ring at all if DND is enabled.

6) Proper device reboot order is always: a) modem (wait for it to be fully up and running first), b) router (wait for it to be fully up and running), and finally c) ATA after rebooting modem and router. I doubt that matters in this case.

You can also ask Fongo to put you on alternate proxy server that doesn’t use UDP 5060 to register in order to help avoid potential SIP ALG problems. I doubt that’s useful if you hear the phone ring once. In that case, it’s more likely that something else is picking the call up (answering machine in the house or Fongo’s voicemail system)—or the incoming call is being forwarded automatically and immediately fails. If you don’t hear any ringing from the phone attached to your ATA, then I would make that request.

If you don’t hear any ringing, you should check to ensure the ringer hasn’t been silenced on the phone attached to the ATA.

Because your ATA is locked, I doubt there’s much more I can do.

Fongo Support doesn’t respond to tickets on weekends.

Here’s the escalation process: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/arti ... -Complaint.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Postby Jake » 04/10/2022

What does your logs say? Here is a snippet from mine.
In particular, what does it say for the call duration and the disconnect reason?

Screenshot_3.jpg
Screenshot_3.jpg (21.44 KiB) Viewed 20430 times
Jake
Technical Support

Postby peterkelos » 04/11/2022

Hi Thanks for the response, I checked the following:

1. Follow me - Disabled
2. Rings before Voicemail = 5
3. ATA has disabled all call features so can't dial *anything and ATA admin uses a password I don't know. I guess Fongo has locked it.
4. Home phone answering machine not picking up.
5.I hear ringing at the phone and if I answer it before the end of the first ring I can receive the call.
6. My call log does not have the columns Jake's has. Is there someplace where I can get this detail?
7. I checked the ATA settings using the user account and it still has my SIP so I think I have not been hacked.

Any other thoughts?
peterkelos
Just Passing Thru

Postby Liptonbrisk » 04/11/2022

After the single ring, does the incoming call to your Fongo Home Phone number go straight to Fongo Home Phone's voicemail, or does the call continue ringing (despite you not hearing the rings)?

Does the outgoing call (when listening to your cell), ring 5 times and then go to Fongo's Home Phone voicemail?

peterkelos wrote:3. ATA has disabled all call features so can't dial *anything

Interesting. I wasn't aware Fongo Home Phone did this.

Are you able to check voicemail by dialing *98? Granted, that's not an ATA star code in this case.

My call log does not have the columns Jake's has. Is there someplace where I can get this detail?

Jake posted from his Freephoneline call log. I don't see those columns in my Fongo Mobile call log either. I would guess Fongo Home Phone doesn't either if you don't see them.
I don't use Fongo Home Phone. Like Jake, I use Freephoneline instead.

I checked the ATA settings using the user account and it still has my SIP

When your ATA is hacked, it doesn't help the hacker to disable or change your working SIP credentials (so whether they're still there doesn't mean you haven't been hacked).
Rather, they want to steal and use your services.
One common thing some hackers have done (without knowing better how FPL and Fongo Home Phone works) is to create an unconditional call forward to another number (albeit with different ATAs), as described on page 29: https://www.grandstream.com/hubfs/Produ ... _guide.pdf. This is one reason why I'm asking you to dial *73.

Since you can't get into admin settings, there's nothing else I can think of to try, unless your ATA (ring voltage/trip issue) or phone was damaged despite being plugged into a UPS.
You could try another power supply/power adapter for the ATA if you have one available.

Actually, if you don't have admin access, are you still able to log into the ATA and see the status page?
If so, does the Hook status change after 1 ring if you don't answer the call?

Is there anything listed under Forward, Busy Forward, or Delayed Forward for Port Options?

With newer firmware versions for your ATA, there's an "Enable High Ring Power" option for the FXS port, but if changing that works, then I suspect some damage occurred during the storm since you didn't need to enable that before. The option is mentioned on page 11 and 59: https://www.grandstream.com/hubfs/Produ ... _guide.pdf
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby peterkelos » 04/11/2022

After the single ring, does the incoming call to your Fongo Home Phone number go straight to Fongo Home Phone's voicemail, or does the call continue ringing (despite you not hearing the rings)?

no they do not go anywhere and the ring stops

Does the outgoing call (when listening to your cell), ring 5 times and then go to Fongo's Home Phone voicemail?

It never rings for more than 1 ring

Are you able to check voicemail by dialing *98? Granted, that's not an ATA star code in this case.

Yes

One common thing some hackers have done (without knowing better how FPL and Fongo Home Phone works) is to create an unconditional call forward to another number (albeit with different ATAs), as described on page 29: https://www.grandstream.com/hubfs/Produ ... _guide.pdf. This is one reason why I'm asking you to dial *73.

Calling *73 gives me a message "This call is not covered by your tarrif plan"

You could try another power supply/power adapter for the ATA if you have one available.

Would that only affect incoming calls?

Actually, if you don't have admin access, are you still able to log into the ATA and see the status page?
If so, does the Hook status change after 1 ring if you don't answer the call?

no On Hook did not change

Is there anything listed under Forward, Busy Forward, or Delayed Forward for Port Options?

Unconditional forward feature Yes. Enable unconditional forward 72, disable unconditional forward 73
Busy Forward Feature Yes, Enable busy forward 90, disable 91
Delayed Forward Feature Yes, Enable delayed forward 92, disable 93

With newer firmware versions for your ATA, there an "Enable High Ring Power" option for the FXS port, but if changing that works, then I suspect some damage occurred during the storm since you didn't need to enable that before. The option is mentioned on page 11 and 59: https://www.grandstream.com/hubfs/Produ ... _guide.pdf
Enable High Ring Power not on and can't change because I don't know the admin password.
peterkelos
Just Passing Thru

peterkelos wrote:
no they do not go anywhere and the ring stops

It never rings for more than 1 ring

I don't know what the cause would be if nothing else is picking up the call or causing it to drop (automatically attempting to forward the call to another a long distance number when you don't have world credits, for example, an answering machine picking up the call automatically, a phone's handset having Do Not Disturb enabled, or automatically trying to bridge a call and having the ATA configured improperly).

It's not a call routing issue since the call is reaching the ATA.

If it were a NAT firewall issue, I wouldn't expect the phone to ring at all or for you to be able to carry on a normal two-way audio (incoming and outgoing audio) conversation when you answer the call immediately.

Calling *73 gives me a message "This call is not covered by your tarrif plan"

Then star codes are being processed (dialed out) by Fongo (service provider) instead of being processed by the ATA, the latter being what is required for *73 to work.
I wasn't aware Fongo configures their Grandstream ATAs in this manner.

Would that only affect incoming calls?

Ringing is affected by voltage, and if the power adapter (or something in the ATA, possibly the phone port) has been damaged, that can affect ringing, particularly if the voltage is not sustained.

However, I'm not sure why the call would completely end after 1 ring.
The ATA doesn't appear to reboot after 1 ring, correct? If it does, the ATA or its power supply/adapter is likely damaged. The lights on the ATA stay on, right?

I think I would want a syslog to look at, but you don't have admin access, and really, that's not my responsibility (I don't work for Fongo) to be parsing syslogs.
It should be the service provider's.

no On Hook did not change

Check to make sure Hook status changes when you pick up or answer the phone attached to the ATA.

LiptonBrisk wrote:Is there anything listed under Forward, Busy Forward, or Delayed Forward for Port Options?

peterkelos wrote:Unconditional forward feature Yes. Enable unconditional forward 72, disable unconditional forward 73
Busy Forward Feature Yes, Enable busy forward 90, disable 91
Delayed Forward Feature Yes, Enable delayed forward 92, disable 93

I meant here:
port.JPG
port.JPG (158.86 KiB) Viewed 20399 times

Regardless, I can't think of anything further right now. You reset the ATA, so it should be configured the way Fongo wants.
I suspect you'll have to work through this situation with Fongo.

You could try bringing the ATA to another location (a friend’s place, possibly) to see if you can reproduce the problem.

If you ever do discover what's causing this issue, please let me know. I'm a little curious. Thanks.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby hanke » 04/11/2022

It sounds like more that the power adapter is weak. I had similar issues with my ATA, outgoing worked fine, incoming rang then stopped after 1 ring but in my case I noticed the ATA was basically rebooting. I realized that the ring cycle to power the connected phones drew the power down resetting the ATA. I replaced the power adapter and all worked fine again. Not sure if that could be the cause in this case or not.
hanke
Lightly Seasoned

SIP Device Name: SPA3102
Firmware Version: 5.2.13(GW002)
ISP Name: Cogeco Cable
Router: DPC3848VM (Modem/Router)

Postby Liptonbrisk » 04/12/2022

hanke wrote:It sounds like more that the power adapter is weak. I had similar issues with my ATA, outgoing worked fine, incoming rang then stopped after 1 ring but in my case I noticed the ATA was basically rebooting. I realized that the ring cycle to power the connected phones drew the power down resetting the ATA. I replaced the power adapter and all worked fine again. Not sure if that could be the cause in this case or not.

Yes, that’s exactly one of the possibilities I had been considering.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=20370#p79756

I wrote, “You could try another power supply/power adapter for the ATA if you have one available.”

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=20370&p=79756#p79759

Liptonbrisk wrote:Ringing is affected by voltage, and if the power adapter (or something in the ATA, possibly the phone port) has been damaged, that can affect ringing, particularly if the voltage is not sustained.

However, I'm not sure why the call would completely end after 1 ring.
The ATA doesn't appear to reboot after 1 ring, correct? If it does, the ATA or its power supply/adapter is likely damaged. The lights on the ATA stay on, right?

Also, the problem started after a storm where power was turning off and back on again.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby peterkelos » 04/12/2022

When I dial in to the ATA I do not notice anything in port options on the Status page.

When I dial in all of the lights stay on the ATA.

I tried moving the power adapter to a different receptacle on the UPS but no change. Moved the power adapter away from the UPS no improvement.

Fongo has not responded - want to see if there is a warranty on the ATA.

In your experience how long does Fongo take to respond?
peterkelos
Just Passing Thru

peterkelos wrote:When I dial in to the ATA I do not notice anything in port options on the Status page.

I wanted to make sure that DND said "No", even when you don't dial in, and that there was nothing listed for the forwarding options.

I also wanted to check that Hook doesn't show "On Hook" when the phone attached to the ATA is either picked up or answered. You may have to refresh the status page after answering the phone attached to the ATA to show updated hook status.

When I dial in all of the lights stay on the ATA.

Even after 1 ring, when the call drops, all lights appear to be on and normal?

I would still want to try another power adapter for the ATA.

I tried moving the power adapter to a different receptacle on the UPS but no change. Moved the power adapter away from the UPS no improvement.

I meant for you to bring the ATA to someone else's home to see whether you can still reproduce the problem. If the ATA works fine at the new location, then the problem is either with your LAN (local area network), phone cords, or phone itself.

If calls still drop after one ring, I'd suspect either the power adapter or ATA is damaged. But I'd also want to look at a device (sys)log to see what's going on (whether Fongo Support is willing to help you with that is unknown to me).

In your experience how long does Fongo take to respond?

About a week

https://status.fongo.com/

"Support System
Status of support.fongo.com (replying to support requests)

Degraded Performance"

If they don't respond after a week has passed, then here's the escalation process: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/arti ... -Complaint
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby peterkelos » 04/12/2022

First I wanted to express my gratitude for your help.

DND says NO. Phone shows Off Hook when press Talk on the phone - on hook when in cradle and no dial tone. If I call in from my cell while I hear the dial tone on the phone, the call immediately goes to voice mail. No call waiting tone is heard from the phone. Voice Message does show on phone and *98 works to retrieve.

When I dial on all of the lights stay on - on the ATA.

Trying to find a power adapter or wait for Fongo because there should be warranty.

Thanks again
peterkelos
Just Passing Thru

peterkelos wrote:First I wanted to express my gratitude for your help.

You’re welcome. Well, DND is off in the ATA, and off hook status is working properly.

Again, if you do discover what the issue is for sure, please let me know. I am a little curious.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby Jake » 04/13/2022

Just thinking about how to test the ata, if you unplug it completely and let it unregistered, then when you call in it should ring as many times as is set in your rings to voicemail setting.
Jake
Technical Support

Postby Liptonbrisk » 04/13/2022

Jake wrote:Just thinking about how to test the ata, if you unplug it completely and let it unregistered, then when you call in it should ring as many times as is set in your rings to voicemail setting.

With Freephoneline, calls to unregistered ATAs (when "SIP Status" does not show "connected" in FPL's online user portal) are routed immediately to FPL's voicemail system when Follow Me is disabled, regardless of what "Rings Before Voicemail" is set to. No ringing is heard.

When SIP Status in Freephoneline's user portal shows "connected" despite the ATA being unplugged, Freephoneline's server believes the ATA is still registered until the remaining registration period expires (and before the ATA would attempt to register again). In that case, no ringing is heard, and after an interval of waiting with no ringing, the incoming call is also routed to Freephoneline's voicemail system.

Is that situation different for Fongo Home Phone?
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby hanke » 04/13/2022

Well, I would try to shut off any ringer of the 1 and only phone set attached to the ATA. Make an incoming call, watch the ATA lights indicating an incoming call and let that go to voice mail or pick it up. If it disconnects at that time, remove the connected phone set and make another incoming call, letting it go to voicemail. If it disconnects then I would suspect either the ATA power supply or the ATA is defective. It would be worth while to reload the firmware but since this is a Fongo account a paying customer should not be required to do this stuff as well as the ATA is probably locked down.
hanke
Lightly Seasoned

SIP Device Name: SPA3102
Firmware Version: 5.2.13(GW002)
ISP Name: Cogeco Cable
Router: DPC3848VM (Modem/Router)

Postby Liptonbrisk » 04/13/2022

hanke wrote:Well, I would try to shut off any ringer of the 1 and only phone set attached to the ATA. Make an incoming call, watch the ATA lights indicating an incoming call and let that go to voice mail or pick it up. If it disconnects at that time, remove the connected phone set and make another incoming call, letting it go to voicemail. If it disconnects then I would suspect either the ATA power supply or the ATA is defective. It would be worth while to reload the firmware but since this is a Fongo account a paying customer should not be required to do this stuff as well as the ATA is probably locked down.

This is good advice. Thank you!

If turning off the ringer works and allows the incoming call to finally reach Fongo's voicemail system, then it's a voltage issue.

If turning off the ringer doesn't change anything, removing all connected phones from the ATA is definitely worth trying just to see if the incoming call will finally go to Fongo's voicemail system.
If it does, then either the attached phone is at fault (I doubt it's a blocked call/DND feature because one ring is heard, but it may be worth looking at the phone's features), or there's (more likely) a problem with the ATA or power supply.

If all incoming calls still drop after 1 ring, then I'm not positive what's going on. I would want to look at a syslog.

peterkelos doesn't have admin access to Fongo's Grandstream ATA.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby peterkelos » 04/14/2022

the plot thickens.

I have 2 phones - the base stations and a remote. I disable the remote and call in from my cell. See the phone symbol on the ATA blink. Hear one ring and the call is terminated - no voice mail. I disable the base station by unplugging it and call in. See the ATA phone symbol blink once and the call is terminated. Nothing goes to voice mail.

Finally remove the phone cord from the ATA and the call goes to voice mail.

Strongly suggests defective ATA to me.
peterkelos
Just Passing Thru

Postby Liptonbrisk » 04/14/2022

peterkelos wrote:Finally remove the phone cord from the ATA and the call goes to voice mail

Try another phone cord.

Check the phone port pins (see if they're bent or look abnormal) in the back of the ATA for signs of damage.

The problem is isolated to the ATA (or its power adapter).
It could be physical damage from the storm. This does seem to be the most plausible cause since you mentioned power going off and on, and the problem happened right after the storm.
Presumably, nothing else changed.

Strongly suggests defective ATA to me.

It seems that way to me as well. If another phone cord doesn't help, and if the phone port on the back of the ATA looks normal, I would try another power adapter if you have another available.

Check your online (log in from a web browser) email spam folder to see whether Fongo has emailed you.
If they haven't responded, and if you feel the wait is unreasonable, then escalating your concern is an option: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/arti ... -Complaint.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby peterkelos » 05/17/2022

Here is an update. After complaining to the CCTS for no support, Fongo send me a new ATA. The day it arrived my old one started working fine. Go figure but Fongo support finally stepped up and called me to make sure everything was OK.
peterkelos
Just Passing Thru

Postby Jake » 05/17/2022

Good for you, glad it got sorted one way or another.

It's a shame it took a month to get fixed, that isn't good at all. Plus you did quite a lot of work to fix it without them as well.

Maybe if they get a few more messages from the CCTS it might make them take more of a look at what they can do better. I know they have to work on a shoe string, but they have to work.

Thanks for the update.
Jake
Technical Support

Postby peterkelos » 06/02/2022

Well the problem has reocurred. Since I had a new ATA I plugged it in but the incoming calls disconnect after 1 ring. Back to square 1. Again my issues happened after a power failure. I'm using Starlink for my internet - I wonder if the modem is resetting and changing something?
peterkelos
Just Passing Thru

Postby Liptonbrisk » 06/03/2022

Your modem may be losing connectivity to the internet, particularly during a storm since you’re using Starlink, and then obtaining a new IP lease afterwards.

This is always proper device reboot order:

A.Turn off modem, router and ATA.

B. Turn on modem. Wait for modem to be fully up and running.

C.Turn on router.
Wait for modem to be fully up and transmitting data before turning on router.

D. Turn on ATA only after the router is fully up and running.

At that point test with in incoming call.
If that works, refer to point D from viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20199#p78976.
Fongo’s ATA is locked, and, as a result, I don’t know if the values related to point D are accessible.
Even if they are, I don’t know whether you have a router that allows you to adjust UDP timeouts.
I am limited in what I can suggest trying due to the ATA being locked.

If you still have a problem, power cycle the phone base for your cordless phone.
Test again with an incoming call.

The fact that you can answer incoming calls immediately and carry on a conversation is odd.
That suggests to me that point D shouldn't be the problem, unless the issue is intermittent.
I would disconnect the base station and try a traditional corded phone instead while testing.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby peterkelos » 06/06/2022

Fongo support got back to me and said that everything was good on their end and to try hooking a phone directly to the ATA. Once I did that the incoming calls did not hang up after 1 ring. The ATA is some distance from my base station so I back feed the signal from the ATA using my existing telephone plug in the wall (which was previously the feed from my landline). I think that the ATA may not have enough voltage or there may be an issue with the wiring needing more voltage. My solution was to plug the telephone base station directly into the ATA and put the second remote phone where the base station was. So far so good but I cannot explain why it worked well, then stopped, then started and then stopped.
peterkelos
Just Passing Thru

Postby Jake » 06/06/2022

peterkelos wrote:Fongo support got back to me and said that everything was good on their end and to try hooking a phone directly to the ATA. Once I did that the incoming calls did not hang up after 1 ring. The ATA is some distance from my base station so I back feed the signal from the ATA using my existing telephone plug in the wall (which was previously the feed from my landline). I think that the ATA may not have enough voltage or there may be an issue with the wiring needing more voltage. My solution was to plug the telephone base station directly into the ATA and put the second remote phone where the base station was. So far so good but I cannot explain why it worked well, then stopped, then started and then stopped.

Did you disconnect the old service from your internal phone sockets? Typically this would be at the DMARC box from bell (mine is a black box on the wall in my basement where their lines come in, but I am sure they have other types). If it's still connected to the Bell network, this could be why you are getting issues. Basically you need to make sure that your internal wiring isn't connected to anything outside of your house.

I very much doubt your house is too big for the ATA to cope with, it's probably more of an issue of something else being connected to the lines, like Bell's local exchange :)
Jake
Technical Support

Next

Return to Community Support