[Resolved] SPA122 SIP Status: disconnected

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo

[Resolved] SPA122 SIP Status: disconnected

Postby MichaelVoIP » 03/24/2023

I have two SIP accounts with Freephoneline, which I have been using successfully since 2011. My ATA is a Cisco SPA122, firmware version 1.4.1(SR5). I have not made any configuration changes to the ATA whatsoever in the last five or so years. I have not made any changes to my Internet or home network over at least a couple of years.

Despite this, a couple of days ago the ATA failed to register both lines. The two LEDs on the ATA corresponding to the two lines are off. In the ATA under Voice -> Information -> Registration Status: Failed. In my FPL account the SIP Status indicates "disconnected" and the SIP User Agent shows nothing.

I opened a ticket with Fongo/Freephoneline and I received the following response:

"Hello,

We're unable to see to see the adapter online and there is nothing preventing your account from being accessed (i.e. Outstanding bills or abuse). Please verify your connection settings as per the VoIP Key Guidelines

https://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en- ... redentials

Ensure that you are connecting to our servers via host name (voip.freephoneline.ca) and not IP Address.

Please note, we no longer provide support for FreePhoneLine. However, there is an active community that provides support to fellow FreePhoneLine users for all matters ranging from the desktop app to configuring your own ATA (with the VoIP unlock key). You can check it out by visiting: http://fongo.help/fpl

If you are interesting in Fongo Home Phone (including customer support), please visit http://www.fongo.com/home-phone or call 1-855-553-6646 to talk to our Fongo Home Phone representatives."

All settings in my ATA are correct as per the above FPL support document. I have been using the voip.freephoneline.ca and voip2.freephoneline.ca servers with port 5060. I also tried voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 and port 6060 but this did not help either.

My ISP is EBox, a former IISP which was purchased by Bell Canada in early 2022. Could it be that Bell started blocking VoIP protocols for EBox customers?

If not, what could possibly be the problem, which happened suddenly out of the blue?

Thank you for your help.
MichaelVoIP
Quiet One

SIP Device Name: Cisco SPA122
Firmware Version: 1.4.1(SR5)
ISP Name: EBox/Nexicom 50/10 Mbps
Computer OS: macOS Ventura 13.4
Router: Apple Time Capsule
Smartphone Model: iPhone 14 Pro Max
Android Version: No way!
iOS Version: 16.5

Re: SIP Status: disconnected

Postby Jake » 03/24/2023

With this sort of thing I would generally start breaking things down to what could cause the problem.
Initially I would remove the ATA and set up a SIP device on a phone or computer.

I usually go to the Counterpath devices - https://www.counterpath.com/plan-select-solo/
It's free and seems to set up fairly easily. MicroSIP is another one I use which is a bit more basic - https://www.microsip.org/

Set up your information on these and see if your account can connect. Make sure your ATA is powered down to make sure that you don't get an issue where multiple things are trying to connect.
Pay particular attention to the timers as these can get you blocked by FPL. As they say there is nothing that is preventing your ATA from connecting, then I don't think this is the case with you.

If your SIP device can connect I would factory reset the ATA and set it up again next.
Jake
Technical Support

Postby jenom » 03/25/2023

I suggest you eliminate possible causes by step by step.
1)
Download and install FPL Windows Desktop App (see link to it in this forum) to make sure it is working with both of your accounts.
Have it on a Windows PC (dektop/laptop) which is connected to the same router as your ATA device;
if Desktop App works for calls ........your "Account" & "Router" and "Internet service" is OK !

2) Signup and buy a $10 credit with a one of the pay-as-you-go Betamax/Dellmont provider, they have cheap long distance rates !
Here is a comparison list with names/prices *link removed by LiptonBrisk*
They have SIP service, as an example, here are the instructions from voipcheap : https://www.voipcheap.com/sip
Enter only the 3 needed settings into your ATA: username/password/server
If you can make calls, your ATA+Router+Internet is OK >>>>>problem is with needed setting's for FreePhoneline ! (I suspect they changed something in the last 1-2 weeks !)

3)If you can, get another non Sipura/Linksys/Cisco ATA , like a Grandstream, and try to set it up using default settings, just add your username/password/server......it might work ?

I went through these procedures (1-2-3), and came to the conclusion, that FreePhoneline did some changes on their end, and as a result , a previously working device suddently stopped working..

My unlocked Vonage VDV21 stopped working with FreePhoneline but works with a Betamax/Dellmont provider and my Thomson TG784 with default settings works with FreePhoneLine. (at the same location, same router, same Internet)

However, these models do not have GUI webpages with settings, so comparing their setting won't be easy. (only thru ssh or telnet)
jenom
Active Poster

SIP Device Name: VDV21
ISP Name: Acanac VDSL
Computer OS: Windows 7 Ultimate
Router: Linksys-EA6900-XWRT-VORTEX

Postby Liptonbrisk » 03/25/2023

jenom wrote:I suggest you eliminate possible causes by step by step.
Download and install FPL Windows Desktop App (see link to it in this forum) to make sure it is working with both of your accounts.
Have it on a Windows PC (dektop/laptop) which is connected to the same router as your ATA device;
if Desktop App works for calls ........your "Account" & "Router" and "Internet service" is OK !

This is, I feel, relatively useful advice insofar as testing whether an FPL account is blocked. So is Jake's advice.

However, it's important to note that the desktop app uses voip3.freephoneline.ca, which is not permitted on ATAs. Consequently, it's impossible to determine whether an FPL account has been IP banned by a proxy server being used in the ATA when using the FPL desktop application.

jenom wrote:Signup and buy a $10 credit with a one of the pay-as-you-go Betamax/Dellmont provider

I appreciate that you are attempting to help, but these are Fongo's forums. Please do not link to or promote competing services (SIP services that can be used for long distance calls compete with world credits sold by Freephoneline). Thank you. I will be removing sign-up links.

jenom wrote:I went through these procedures (1-2-3), and came to the conclusion, that FreePhoneline did some changes on their end, and as a result , a previously working device suddently stopped working..

My unlocked Vonage VDV21 stopped working with FreePhoneline but works with a Betamax/Dellmont provider

A comparison between services using servers at different locations that use different settings (especially different timers) isn't necessarily relevant. I use a number of different SIP services. They all work, including Freephoneline (since 2010, at least), on all of my devices, which includes a Linksys/Cisco ATA, and I also own multiple VoIP unlock keys.

MichaelVoIP wrote:
My ISP is EBox, a former IISP which was purchased by Bell Canada in early 2022. Could it be that Bell started blocking VoIP protocols for EBox customers?

I feel that's unlikely. Canadians ISPs aren't in the habit of deliberately filtering traffic on UDP 5060 and 6060.
What they can do instead is issue modem/router combos (hubs or gateways) that have SIP ALG turned on by default (sometimes with no way of disabling it). One way around this (or to not care what they do) is to place whatever they give you into bridge mode and to use your own router instead. To see what features are useful to have in router when using Freephoneline or SIP servcies, visit viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20199#p78976. Not being able to adjust UDP timeouts isn't ideal.

MichaelVoIP wrote:If not, what could possibly be the problem, which happened suddenly out of the blue?

First, I respect the advice that's been offered. I apologize if my response here offends anyone that's attempted to help (that is, my intention is not to step on anyone's toes). As Jake mentioned, not using a 3600 second registration interval with FPL can lead to an account block. You claim that's not the issue; and the response to your support ticket, if it's not a rote response, appears to indicate the same thing. If your account is blocked, you should hear an account block message on outbound calls. Obviously, the only way to remove an account block is to submit a ticket, which you've done.

In addition to what was written previously,

1. Double check the light patterns on your ATA: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/d ... pa122.html. If the system/power light is off, try another power adapter/power supply. The power light should be solid green. The internet light should be flashing green. If it's off, then the ATA doesn't have internet access.

2. Obviously, one of the first things that can happen is ISP related. A DNS issue (where you suddenly can't reach a server using the proxy name, for example) or a routing problem between you and the proxy server being used can develop. Step 26 from viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20532 shows how to test for those two issues (winmtr test can help pinpoint a routing problem).

3. I have seen at least one ISP-issued modem/router combo, hub, or gateway receive an overnight firmware update, pushed to one of these devices by an ISP, which reset everything, including taking the modem/router combo out of bridge mode and re-enabling SIP ALG, which broke registration.

4. Have you been trying to use your FPL accounts on SIP apps or other devices? Using the same FPL account on more than one line can drop registration on your ATA when using the same proxy server.

Given that you see "disconnected" from https://www.freephoneline.ca/showSipSettings, the answer to my question appears to be no, unless your FPL accounts are actually blocked (or encountering IP bans).

5. NAT corruption can develop in users' routers without them doing anything differently. That can happen due to using incorrect UDP timeouts in routers as described in point 28 from viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20532. Using a router that doesn't allow you to adjust UDP timeouts isn't ideal. Testing for that problem (should it arise again when registration fails) is simple enough and described in step 12 from that link.

6. If you were not using a 120 second failed registration timer (and a lot of old FPL guides didn't included that setting), you can be temporarily IP banned by the FPL proxy server that was being used. (If you switched to voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060, on one of the ATA lines, from a different proxy, then the problem wasn't being IP banned.) Also changing to a different proxy should reset NAT associations (point 5 above).

When registration fails, the failed registration timer setting indicates how often the ATA is going to attempt to register again. If that setting is set to 10 seconds, for example, you can be IP banned eventually.

"As May 2013, our servers will rate limit REGISTER requests to a maximum of 10 requests per 5 minutes. Each authentication round usually consumes 2 requests (digest auth), so it is a fair number given our guidelines."
https://community.freepbx.org/t/trunk-s ... ca/22479/8

If that rate limit has changed since then, I'm not aware. I've encountered that situation before, and I'm not going to test.

Being temporarily IP banned can also occur when using registration timers with short intervals with Freephoneline. Too many registrations attempts within a short period can lead to an IP ban. Keep in mind that every time you reboot the ATA (or power cycle it), it's attempting to register with Freephoneline proxy server(s) again. The same (typically) happens when you run a SIP app.

You claim to be using the correct timer settings. Double checking doesn't hurt.

7. Don't use the same proxy server for both ATA lines. Whatever you have them set to currently, change them to a different proxy server (and don't use the same one for both lines). Using voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 means entering "voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060" without the quotation marks in the "proxy" field for your ATA. Don't use the same (local) SIP Port for both ATA lines either (pay close attention to step 12 from viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20532).

MichaelVoIP wrote: I have been using the voip.freephoneline.ca and voip2.freephoneline.ca servers

If line 1 proxy is currently set to voip.freephoneline.ca change it to "voip2.freephoneline.ca" without the quotation marks.

If line 2 proxy is currently set to voip2.freephoneline.ca change it to "voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060" without the quotation marks.

(submit settings)

MichaelVoIP wrote: with port 5060.

Where are you entering "5060"?

a. Navigate to Voice tab-->Line 1 tab -->SIP settings, and change (local) SIP Port to 33888.
b. Navigate to Voice tab-->Line 2 tab -->SIP settings, and change (local) SIP Port to 53888.

SIP port here is the local (LAN) SIP port. It's the not the proxy server port used by FPL.

MichaelVoIP wrote:I also tried . . . port 6060 but this did not help either.

Where did you enter "6060"?

8. I would encourage you to double check your settings from viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20532, regardless of what has worked for you previously (you can ignore steps 7,8, 10, 11, 22, 23, 24, and 27 until registration has been established).

9. If you do end up performing a factory reset, as Jake mentioned, your ATA setup guide is located at viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16340#p64442. Again, afterwards, double check your settings from viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20532.

10. Lastly, turn off modem, router, and ATA. Turn on modem. Wait for it to be fully up and running first. Turn on router. Wait for router to be fully up and transmitting data first. Lastly, turn on ATA after everything else is up and running. That's always the proper device boot order. ATA should always be booted last in the chain. 1. Modem (wait) -->2. Router (wait)-->3. ATA
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Re: SPA122 SIP Status: disconnected

Postby MichaelVoIP » 03/26/2023

To everyone, a very warm thank you for your great help and suggestions. I have a happy update:

As a test, I temporarily tried both SIP accounts on an app on my iPhone (Bria) and both registered and worked well with no issue. So none of the lines were blocked, as Freephoneline also confirmed.

Then, I went back to my ATA and double checked the Register Expires parameter under Proxy and Registration. The value was set to 300 sec., and was likely the default ATA value since 2011, when I signed up with Freephoneline. Until now I was not aware of the Freephoneline minimum value requirement. I changed the value to 3600 sec. for both lines, saved the settings, then the ATA rebooted automatically and... BINGO! Both lines registered and became functional immediately.

I have done this on Friday and monitored both lines for two days, and for the time being all is well.

This, though, raises a question: Do the Freephoneline servers query the ATA for the value of the Register Expires parameter?
MichaelVoIP
Quiet One

SIP Device Name: Cisco SPA122
Firmware Version: 1.4.1(SR5)
ISP Name: EBox/Nexicom 50/10 Mbps
Computer OS: macOS Ventura 13.4
Router: Apple Time Capsule
Smartphone Model: iPhone 14 Pro Max
Android Version: No way!
iOS Version: 16.5

Postby Jake » 03/26/2023

MichaelVoIP wrote:This, though, raises a question: Do the Freephoneline servers query the ATA for the value of the Register Expires parameter?

I don't see how they would be able to.

What they can do is monitor how many times your account is trying to register with their servers, and then put you on a timeout and deny any further attempts; if you send too many attempts sooner than the 3600 seconds.

I seem to recall there was a time when a lot of people were having trouble staying connected, and a solution that came up was to reduce the timer right down. This of course put more load on their servers until they couldn't cope and caused problems of their own.
So to get rid of that and make people set their ATAs up correctly I assume they decided to enforced the 3600 seconds, and block you if you sent too many requests too quickly.

I don't remember anything official being said about that though, it's just bits and pieces from my time on the forums over the years.

Anyway, glad you got it working again. It's always a pain when it stops for no apparent reason.
I'm surprised you got away with it for so long, that rule has been in place for quite a while.
Jake
Technical Support

Postby Liptonbrisk » 03/26/2023

MichaelVoIP wrote:
This, though, raises a question: Do the Freephoneline servers query the ATA for the value of the Register Expires parameter?

They don't need to. ATAs send that information in SIP headers to the proxy server anyway during registration. They can see what the registration period is. It's an "expires" value.

For example, here it's 3600 seconds sent in an OBihai device's contact header to FPL's proxy server:
Contact: "LiptonBrisk" <sip:1FPLnumber@LANIP:localudpsipportnumber>;expires=3600;+sip.instance="<urn:uuid:00000000-0000-0000-0000-9bunchaletters>"

In Obihai ATA and Obihai IP Phones, which typically provide more useful information than Linksys ATA registration failure responses shown in their webUI (as opposed to the syslog), people can see "Account Register Failed: 488 registration expiry of 360 is invalid please use 3600"
https://www.reddit.com/r/VOIP/comments/ ... yone_else/

In that example, someone is incorrectly using a 360 second RegistrationPeriod (Obihai ATA setting) instead of 3600 seconds.

SIP error code 488 means Not Acceptable Here.

As Jake mentioned, it's good that your service is working again.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Re: [Resolved] SPA122 SIP Status: disconnected

Postby MichaelVoIP » 03/26/2023

@Liptonbrisk and @Jake

Thank you!
MichaelVoIP