Typical questions a new guy might ask.

This section is for general discussions surrounding digital phone service.

Typical questions a new guy might ask.

Postby Pacopag » 05/10/2013

Hi there. New guy here. I was just having trouble navigating the site and getting the program straight. I just have some questions and would like some straight answers from the community:

1) Can I have the desktop app AND an actual physical phone that I hold in my hand linked to the same phone number? So I could use the real phone at home, and take the soft phone with me on my laptop?

2) Are all local calls and calls to any numbers in the listed cities free? I mean really free, aside from any charges incurred from internet bandwidth usage, which is my ISPs business? Or is it only free between fongo users and I gotta pay to call the rest of the world?

3) What other charges can I expect if I use my phone like a normal person?

4) Is there anything else I should know?

Thanks a bunch for any info.
Pacopag
Just Passing Thru

Re: Typical questions a new guy might ask.

Postby Jake » 05/10/2013

1. You can only have one device connected at a time. So you could have either the desktop app, mobile app, or an ATA/3rd party device; connected at one time. If you try and connect more they will just keep stealing the registration from each other and you won't really know which will ring if any.

2. Yes, they are free - no charges what so ever. Not all of Canada is free, but a lot of the major places are. To give a quick example - if you live in Ottawa you can call Vancouver for free. As you say, bandwidth charges apply however you are connected and there are far too many variables for me to give examples :) It is always free between Fongo users. There are places that are not free which include some places in Canada, and the rest of the world. The free calling cities are always free though.

3. This depends on if you go with Fongo, or Freephoneline. They are basically the same service behind the scenes, but there are differences in the setting up and running of things.
Fongo - Has Home Phone. There is a one time set up fee of $59 and $14.95 shipping. Then a monthly charge of $4.95 a month. You can also choose to bring your existing number with you for $20. What you will end up with is an ATA (a box that connects to your internet and then you plug a phone into it). It will basically act as a normal house phone from Bell, apart from you won't have the high monthly charges and you get to call a lot more people for free. There is support with this service.

FPL - has an Unlock Key. This basically provides you with details that allows you to connected your own device to their system, and enjoy the same service as with Home Phone. The Unlock Key costs $99.95. What you would then do is buy an ATA (usually around $50) and then set it up using your details. You will then connect it in the same way as the Home Phone ATA and it will work the same. There is NO monthly charge for this service, just a one time initial fee for the unlock key. There is NO official support for this. If something doesn't work you have to either work it out yourself, or ask here or other forums for help. Some would argue that we here are better than official support anyway :lol: You are more on your own doing it this way but you save the $4.95 a month. If you are not technical or willing to roll up your sleeves then Home Phone might be a better way to go.

4. a) You will get a real free Canadian number in a city you choose when you sign up.
b) Either service can be used completely for free without you having to pay for anything (apart from bandwidth). No upfront or running costs. You can use the free mobile app with Fongo, or the desktop app with FPL. You will only need to buy long distance vouchers if the number you want to call isn't free, or you want to call another country.

I'm sure all this has made more questions than answers, so feel free to ask away - someone will most likely answer. :D
Jake
Technical Support

Thank you so much. You answers were clear and complete.

Just a couple more questions and I think I'll be set.

1) If I go FPL, can I use the desktop phone on more than one computer?

2) If I go FPL, can I still use my own number?
Pacopag
Just Passing Thru

Postby Jake » 05/10/2013

1. You can use the desktop app on more than computer, but again, only one at a time. So for example you can use it at home, but shut it down before you go to work and open it up there.

2. Yes, as long as you can port your number into the system (see here http://support.fongo.com/entries/228992 ... o-network-) you can port your number at any time to either service.
Jake
Technical Support

Awesome. Thanks for your help.
Pacopag
Just Passing Thru

Postby jnenterprises » 06/24/2013

I installed the Desktop App and I can not figure out how to get the app on my Desktop I gather this digital phone is for a laptop or desktop not for a mobile unit or am I wrong.
jnenterprises
Just Passing Thru

Computer OS: windows 7

Postby Jake » 06/24/2013

jnenterprises wrote:I installed the Desktop App and I can not figure out how to get the app on my Desktop I gather this digital phone is for a laptop or desktop not for a mobile unit or am I wrong.

Yes, the desktop app is for a computer, the Fongo mobile app is for your mobile.
Jake
Technical Support

Postby jnenterprises » 06/24/2013

Then how do I get the app on my desktop so I can call using it I seem to not be a able to find that answer or how to get the app to move onto my desktop to use it
jnenterprises
Just Passing Thru

Computer OS: windows 7

Postby blackrose » 10/07/2013

Thank you so much. You answers were clear and complete.

Just a couple more questions and I think I'll be set.

1) If I go FPL, can I use the desktop phone on more than one computer?
GuL
blackrose
One Hit Wonder

Postby Jake » 10/08/2013

Blackrose, as I mentioned above, yes you can use it on more than one computer but only on one computer at a time. So you could use it at home, shut down your computer and then use it at work.
Jake
Technical Support

Postby ddrasko » 10/19/2013

This thread is perfect place for my question, so Jake and others, sharpen your pencil :)
I will explain my situation. I am with Rogers for home phone (you feel sorry for me already I suppose) and I really don't use phone line so much.
However, as everyone has this case, many people/institutions have my home phone number so I want to keep it.
Can I:
1. Port my number to Fongo and use iPhone app as my home phone? Meaning, I can have calls received to the app on my current home phone number.
That way I don't have to have ATA device or any other home phone device-I will use app and DATA plan.
At the same time, people can reach me on my known home phone line.
2. If possible, how much would that cost? I know that porting is 25$!? Anything else?
3. Can I also forward calls to my cell (as explained under 1.)? Is there fee from for that (maybe hit on my minutes with cell provider)?

I hope I explained this properly. Thank you in advance.

Cheers!
ddrasko
One Hit Wonder

Postby bridonca » 10/24/2013

I do not believe you can port a number to a free account. If so I stand corrected.

However, if you use Fongo's sister telco, freephoneline.ca, you can buy SIP settings for $50, and it would cost another $25 to port the number over.

Though more expensive up front, it is a better solution. Once you get the SIP settings, you no longer have to pay any more fees. SIP settings give you much more flexibility. You can use them on pretty much any SIP device, the ithingy has some very good SIP apps.

I would probably stick with getting an ATA device, ( OBI devices are strongly recommended) and using the SIP settings on that. SIP voice quality on 3G or wifi can be problematic, fun to play with, but not really practical. You can still forward your calls from freephoneline to your cell, and that works well.
bridonca
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Postby Jake » 10/24/2013

bridonca wrote:I do not believe you can port a number to a free account. If so I stand corrected.

My understanding is that you can now. It never used to be like this but I think it all changed a little while back.

Maybe someone from Fongo can confirm.
Jake
Technical Support

Postby cham » 11/14/2013

hi! i have a question that i am hoping someone here can help me with.

If i purchase the
fongo home phone adapter ($50 + $5 per month)
and the # porting ($25)
can i then purchase the VoIP key ($50) and use it with the fongo adapter

will i have to contact fongo to stop the monthly charges or will that happen automatically

Thanks
cham
Just Passing Thru

Postby bridonca » 11/14/2013

cham wrote:hi! i have a question that i am hoping someone here can help me with.

If i purchase the
fongo home phone adapter ($50 + $5 per month)
and the # porting ($25)
can i then purchase the VoIP key ($50) and use it with the fongo adapter

will i have to contact fongo to stop the monthly charges or will that happen automatically

Thanks

You would have to go the Fongo's sister site, freephoneline.ca if you want the $50 SIP settings. I do not believe Fongo currently sells SIP settings. You would have to buy your own ATA device, and pay $25 extra if you want to port a number to it.
bridonca
Technical Support

Postby cham » 11/15/2013

I purchased the Voip Key from Freephoneline and got the order confirmation email. However i did not receive the Config file. The confirmation email shows that there is an attachment but there is no attachment. How do i contact somebody to get the config files sent to me?
cham
Just Passing Thru

Postby Fongo Support » 11/16/2013

cham wrote:I purchased the Voip Key from Freephoneline and got the order confirmation email. However i did not receive the Config file. The confirmation email shows that there is an attachment but there is no attachment. How do i contact somebody to get the config files sent to me?

Hi there,

The SIP settings can be found by logging in into your account online-details below:

To retrieve your SIP Settings, please login to your account at https://www.freephoneline.ca/login

Once you are logged in, please click on "Settings" then "SIP Settings", your VoIP Unlock Key credentials will be listed there.

Important: Please ensure that your 3rd party ATA is configured according to the FPL guidelines: http://support.freephoneline.ca/entries ... redentials

Thanks,
Fongo Support
Site Moderator

Postby Owens » 01/05/2014

Hi,

Can I get a phone number first then after a month of testing, I port my current home phone number in to replace it?

Or Can I use 2 phone numbers with freephoneline with one ATA? Thanks,
Owens
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: None
Computer OS: Window 7
Router: Dlink DIR 655

Postby bridonca » 01/05/2014

If you plan to use an ATA, you would need to buy SIP settings for $50. You can port over your old number any time you want, though that costs another $25. This only works with the freephoneline.ca service. Fongo does not sell SIP settings.

If you do buy 2 separate SIP settings for a 2 line ATA, you can get both accounts working on each line.
bridonca
Technical Support

Postby Owens » 01/05/2014

Thanks.

That means I can open an account with FreePhoneline.ca to get a phone number first. I will need to buy the SIP $50. Until my satisfaction, I can then port my current home phone number over. I need to pay another SIP $50 plus $25 for porting. Is it correct? Thanks again,
Owens
Just Passing Thru

Postby Jake » 01/05/2014

only if you want to keep the first FPL number you get when you open the account. If your intention is to only end up with your ported number as your only account it will go like this.

1. You set up your FPL account.
2. Pay $50 for the unlock key.
3. Wait until you are happy it all works.
4. Port in your number ($25).
5. Once porting is complete your FPL number will be replaced with your ported number.

If you intend to have two numbers (some ATAs will support two lines but not all) then it will be like above, but you will have a 3b. where you will create a new FPL account and then port your number to this account so it doesn't effect the FPL account you will have been playing with. You will as mentioned have to buy the unlock key for this account at some point if you plan to use it with an ATA.

Basically each account you don't want to use solely on the softphone with FPL you will have to buy the unlock key for. Each account has to have an unique phone number associated with it, and each account can only have one number associated with it no matter if it is a FPL issued number or a number you have ported in that will replace the FPL issued number.

I have probably made it sound more complicated than it actually is, but hopefully you got the idea.
Jake
Technical Support

Postby Owens » 01/06/2014

Your answer is very clear and helpful. Thanks very much!
Owens
Just Passing Thru

Postby mparadis » 01/21/2014

Hello,

I am considering registering for your freephoneline Desktop application service but need more information. unfortunately you do not have any phone service and that is scary in itself should i have issues after registering.

I am currently subscribing to SNR from Bell and would like to know if I could switch to your freepohoneline and be able to forwarding my calls to my land line home phone, use my current SNR number, pick up my message on the internet or phone, have email notification when messages are left, set up greeting and use the voice mail system? I currently receive faxes using my land line number. I also have my voicemail kick in after 4 rings so that if a fax comes in it will go to printer after 5 rings thru land line. Do you foresee any issues if I eventually made the move?

Cost would be $25 plus $4.95 per month if I am correct?
Merci,
mparadis
Just Passing Thru

Computer OS: Windows 7

Hello,

I am considering registering for your freephoneline Desktop application service but need more information. unfortunately you do not have any phone service and that is scary in itself should i have issues after registering.

I am currently subscribing to SNR from Bell and would like to know if I could switch to your freepohoneline and be able to forwarding my calls to my land line home phone, use my current SNR number, pick up my message on the internet or phone, have email notification when messages are left, set up greeting and use the voice mail system? I currently receive faxes using my land line number. I also have my voicemail kick in after 4 rings so that if a fax comes in it will go to printer after 5 rings thru land line. Do you foresee any issues if I eventually made the move?

Merci,
mparadis
Just Passing Thru

Hello,

I am considering registering for your freephoneline service but need more information. unfortunately you do not have any phone service and that is scary in itself should i have issues after registering.

Merci,
mparadis
Just Passing Thru

Next

Return to General Discussions